Education minister called on to release funding for overcrowded, decaying East York schools

News Mar 06, 2013 by Tara Hatherly East York Mirror

East York’s overcrowded and decaying classrooms are a critical situation that must be addressed, Beaches-East York MPP Michael Prue told education minister Liz Sandals this week at Queen’s Park.

Prue called on Sandals to fix the problem during question period on Tuesday, March 5.

“Students at five East York schools are struggling to learn in moldy, raccoon-infested portables,” he said. “Why is the government compromising the health and safety of children in these schools by refusing to provide capital funding for these essential repairs that were in last year’s provincial budget?”

Parents from Secord, Parkside, George Webster, Crescent Town and D.A. Morrison have been fighting for funding for the schools, worried how the current conditions are affecting students’ health and ability to learn.

“I am happy Michael Prue raised the issue of facility conditions — at Queen’s Park today — and that the provincial government was made aware of the urgent situation,” said Peter Saros, a representative of the parents’ group, and co-chair of Secord Public School’s parent council, in an interview.

“These East York schools have been ignored too long, and the province needs to release funds to restore facility equity.”

Parents watched in frustration as $70 million in previously approved funding for the schools was frozen, while funding announcements for renovations and additions at other Toronto schools continue. Equally frustrating for parents has been that the TDSB says the lack of funding is a provincial issue, while the province maintains it is a board issue.

“What is most frustrating is minister Sandal’s comments that TDSB mismanagement is the reason capital funding for essential repairs and construction at Secord, D.A. Morrison, and George Webster, which also affects the Parkside and Crescent Town communities, has been frozen,” Saros said.

“This useless finger pointing between the TDSB and province is leaving 800 children without adequate facilities to learn and enjoy school. It is patently unfair that our kids have to simultaneously endure freezing conditions in rotting portables, as well as a freeze on capital spending to alleviate those very conditions.”

Prue raised the finger-pointing issue at Queen’s Park as well.

“It’s very clear that the minister is seeking to shift the blame to the Toronto District School Board, and I am not sure that’s where it is, because the ministry officials, in last year’s budget, were very, very clear that the money was available and was needed by the Toronto District School Board, particularly in these underserviced schools,” Prue said. “When will this government finally commit on the urgent request to protect these 800 East York children who deserve so much better from this ministry?”

The group of parents met with Beaches-East York MPP Prue, Beaches-East York Councillor Janet Davis and TDSB trustee Sheila Cary-Meagher following Prue’s Queen’s Park plea, to continue working on securing funding for the schools. Following unsuccessful TDSB appeals, the group now plans to take its message to the province.

Education minister called on to release funding for overcrowded, decaying East York schools

News Mar 06, 2013 by Tara Hatherly East York Mirror

East York’s overcrowded and decaying classrooms are a critical situation that must be addressed, Beaches-East York MPP Michael Prue told education minister Liz Sandals this week at Queen’s Park.

Prue called on Sandals to fix the problem during question period on Tuesday, March 5.

“Students at five East York schools are struggling to learn in moldy, raccoon-infested portables,” he said. “Why is the government compromising the health and safety of children in these schools by refusing to provide capital funding for these essential repairs that were in last year’s provincial budget?”

Parents from Secord, Parkside, George Webster, Crescent Town and D.A. Morrison have been fighting for funding for the schools, worried how the current conditions are affecting students’ health and ability to learn.

“I am happy Michael Prue raised the issue of facility conditions — at Queen’s Park today — and that the provincial government was made aware of the urgent situation,” said Peter Saros, a representative of the parents’ group, and co-chair of Secord Public School’s parent council, in an interview.

“These East York schools have been ignored too long, and the province needs to release funds to restore facility equity.”

Parents watched in frustration as $70 million in previously approved funding for the schools was frozen, while funding announcements for renovations and additions at other Toronto schools continue. Equally frustrating for parents has been that the TDSB says the lack of funding is a provincial issue, while the province maintains it is a board issue.

“What is most frustrating is minister Sandal’s comments that TDSB mismanagement is the reason capital funding for essential repairs and construction at Secord, D.A. Morrison, and George Webster, which also affects the Parkside and Crescent Town communities, has been frozen,” Saros said.

“This useless finger pointing between the TDSB and province is leaving 800 children without adequate facilities to learn and enjoy school. It is patently unfair that our kids have to simultaneously endure freezing conditions in rotting portables, as well as a freeze on capital spending to alleviate those very conditions.”

Prue raised the finger-pointing issue at Queen’s Park as well.

“It’s very clear that the minister is seeking to shift the blame to the Toronto District School Board, and I am not sure that’s where it is, because the ministry officials, in last year’s budget, were very, very clear that the money was available and was needed by the Toronto District School Board, particularly in these underserviced schools,” Prue said. “When will this government finally commit on the urgent request to protect these 800 East York children who deserve so much better from this ministry?”

The group of parents met with Beaches-East York MPP Prue, Beaches-East York Councillor Janet Davis and TDSB trustee Sheila Cary-Meagher following Prue’s Queen’s Park plea, to continue working on securing funding for the schools. Following unsuccessful TDSB appeals, the group now plans to take its message to the province.

Education minister called on to release funding for overcrowded, decaying East York schools

News Mar 06, 2013 by Tara Hatherly East York Mirror

East York’s overcrowded and decaying classrooms are a critical situation that must be addressed, Beaches-East York MPP Michael Prue told education minister Liz Sandals this week at Queen’s Park.

Prue called on Sandals to fix the problem during question period on Tuesday, March 5.

“Students at five East York schools are struggling to learn in moldy, raccoon-infested portables,” he said. “Why is the government compromising the health and safety of children in these schools by refusing to provide capital funding for these essential repairs that were in last year’s provincial budget?”

Parents from Secord, Parkside, George Webster, Crescent Town and D.A. Morrison have been fighting for funding for the schools, worried how the current conditions are affecting students’ health and ability to learn.

“I am happy Michael Prue raised the issue of facility conditions — at Queen’s Park today — and that the provincial government was made aware of the urgent situation,” said Peter Saros, a representative of the parents’ group, and co-chair of Secord Public School’s parent council, in an interview.

“These East York schools have been ignored too long, and the province needs to release funds to restore facility equity.”

Parents watched in frustration as $70 million in previously approved funding for the schools was frozen, while funding announcements for renovations and additions at other Toronto schools continue. Equally frustrating for parents has been that the TDSB says the lack of funding is a provincial issue, while the province maintains it is a board issue.

“What is most frustrating is minister Sandal’s comments that TDSB mismanagement is the reason capital funding for essential repairs and construction at Secord, D.A. Morrison, and George Webster, which also affects the Parkside and Crescent Town communities, has been frozen,” Saros said.

“This useless finger pointing between the TDSB and province is leaving 800 children without adequate facilities to learn and enjoy school. It is patently unfair that our kids have to simultaneously endure freezing conditions in rotting portables, as well as a freeze on capital spending to alleviate those very conditions.”

Prue raised the finger-pointing issue at Queen’s Park as well.

“It’s very clear that the minister is seeking to shift the blame to the Toronto District School Board, and I am not sure that’s where it is, because the ministry officials, in last year’s budget, were very, very clear that the money was available and was needed by the Toronto District School Board, particularly in these underserviced schools,” Prue said. “When will this government finally commit on the urgent request to protect these 800 East York children who deserve so much better from this ministry?”

The group of parents met with Beaches-East York MPP Prue, Beaches-East York Councillor Janet Davis and TDSB trustee Sheila Cary-Meagher following Prue’s Queen’s Park plea, to continue working on securing funding for the schools. Following unsuccessful TDSB appeals, the group now plans to take its message to the province.