Police launch Catch-22 program in hopes of nabbing...
|
Bookmark and Share
Feb 05, 2013  |  Vote 0    0

Police launch Catch-22 program in hopes of nabbing the area’s most wanted

Etobicoke Guardian

Many more eyes will be on the lookout for south Etobicoke’s most wanted from now on, thanks to a new weekly police program called Catch-22 Tuesday.

Launched just this week, Catch-22 Tuesday will see the name, picture, and alleged crime of one of Etobicoke’s most wanted broadcast over both traditional and new medias each week, said Det. Patrick McGrade of 22 Division. The hope, he added, is that someone in the community will recognize these people with outstanding warrants out for their arrests, and contact police with information about their whereabouts.

“Our Twitter account has been up and active for more than a year now and our Facebook page has been there for some time, too, so we’re steadily building up our followers locally. We’re hoping that, through this program, we can identify these wanted people and that people who know them will get in touch with them and have them call us and make arrangements to surrender themselves,” McGrade said. “Ideally what we’re hoping to have is a friend of these guys is going to say, ‘holy crap, they’ve got your picture and everything out there, you better turn yourself in.’”

And that’s precisely what happened over at 55 Division recently – the unit that hosts the Wanted Wednesday program that Catch-22 is being modeled after – McGrade said.

“From what I understand, the guy just walked in to 55 Division and said, ‘Hey, I’m your Wanted Wednesday,’” he added, noting that just last month, 55 Division celebrated a perfect arrest rate for the program, arresting all three of the alleged criminals profiled on Wanted Wednesday.

McGrade said the hope is to duplicate that success in Etobicoke with Catch-22 – starting this week, with the program’s first installment.

Twenty-two Division’s first Catch-22 most wanted is 25-year-old Marko Tojcic, of no-fixed address.

Also wanted by the RCMP, Tojcic is accused of kidnapping a 25-year-old man in 2011 and allegedly beating him repeatedly over a period of five days. The victim sustained numerous serious injuries, and according to the RCMP, had to spend a “significant amount of time in the hospital due to injuries received from the incident.”

Tojcic is wanted by Toronto police on charges of: kidnapping; forcible confinement; attempted murder; aggravated assault; robbery; break and enter; assault with a weapon; and possession of a prohibited device.

“This incident occurred in our division and we have a hope that the person is still living in the division, as it’s the last known address that we believe he was at,” McGrade said, warning anyone who may come across Tojcic not to approach him, but to call 911 immediately. “We’re hoping to every week put out something similar to what we’ve done this week, and we’re also going to keep the public advised of when we locate these guys through the public’s assistance.”

For more information on the Catch-22 Tuesday program, visit the 22 Division Facebook page or follow @the22news on Twitter.

Anyone with information about Tojcic’s whereabouts is urged to contact police at 416-808-2200, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637).

|
Bookmark and Share

(0) Comment

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

In Your Neighbourhood Today

SPONSORED CONTENT View More