Home News Man living in metal container dies after catching...
|
Bookmark and Share
Jan 28, 2013  |  Vote 0    0

Man living in metal container dies after catching fire

Scarborough Mirror

A Centennial College security guard making his outdoor rounds Saturday night saw a man burning to death in a nearby park, Toronto police said Monday.

Quick action by a passing Toronto traffic officer, who arrived less than a minute later and used a fire extinguisher on the still-burning body, could not save the man, Const. Victor Kwong told The Scarborough Mirror on Jan. 28.

The burned man, who police say was homeless, appeared to be “using a metal container as a makeshift home” and using a propane burner to heat it.

On Saturday night, he somehow set himself on fire but managed to escape the container, which was three feet wide, five feet high and 10 feet long.

The guard, walking the western perimeter of Centennial’s Ashtonbee Campus smelled smoke and saw a human body engulfed in flames, Kwong said.

The man, who carried identification, was 52 years old.

Police would not release his name.

Damage could be seen on the container, which is near soccer fields and cricket pitches in Wexford Park north of Ashtonbee Road just south of the Gatineau Hydro Corridor.

An investigation into the incident continued Monday, but police at this time do not consider the death suspicious.

|
Bookmark and Share

(0) Comment

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

PHOTOS AND VIDEOS

In Your Neighbourhood Today

SPONSORED CONTENT View More