Blazes keep firefighters busy in North York
Bookmark and Share
Jan 28, 2013  |  Vote 0    0

Blazes keep firefighters busy in North York

North York Mirror

Firefighters were kept busy in North York over the weekend as they battled three blazes in the former city.

Emergency personnel were first called to Esterbrooke Avenue, near Don Mills Road and Sheppard Avenue, after a fire broke out in a home early Saturday, Jan. 26.

Several homes were evacuated following the fire, which broke out around midnight in the basement of a home and spread to the roof.

Angeline Mair was woken by firefighters around 1 a.m., who said she and her family would likely have to evacuate their home because of a fire two houses down.

“At first, I didn’t believe there was a real fire,” said Mair, a Toronto Community News employee. “I looked in my backyard and through the smoke saw a firefighter looking around with his flashlight. That’s when I knew it was serious.”

Within minutes her house started smelling like smoke, and a police officer informed her the house needed to be evacuated, she said.

“It was difficult to get dressed because the smoke was stinging our eyes and it was difficult to breathe,” she said. “Luckily, there was a warm TTC bus waiting for the evacuated residents.”

After spending the night with her grandparents, Mair and her family are now staying in a hotel while waiting for a damage estimate from their insurance company, she said.

The cause is undetermined, Toronto Fire said.

Firefighters were then called to Bathurst Street and Wilson Avenue around 5 p.m. after a fire forced a man to jump from a third floor balcony.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze before it spread to other units.

Reports indicate the man, 62, was cooking at the time of the fire.

He was taken to hospital with foot injuries.

A bagel shop was destroyed in a four-alarm blaze Sunday, Jan. 27.

The fire started in the basement of Haymishe Bagel Shop at 3031 Bathurst St., near Lawrence Avenue, around 10:15 a.m.

Seventeen fire trucks and 65 firefighters battled the blaze, which saw part of the first floor collapse.

Nearby businesses and residences were evacuated, and the 7 Bathurst TTC bus was rerouted.

Four employees inside the shop when the fire broke out escaped without injury.

Bathurst Street was closed from Dell Park to Lawrence avenues while emergency personnel investigated.

The fire is being investigated by the Office of the Fire Marshal.

Bookmark and Share

(0) Comment

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login


In Your Neighbourhood Today