East York Mirror
This morning, 82 years after his death, Baby Kintyre was finally laid to rest.
At 11 a.m., a secular funeral and proper burial took place at the Elgin Mills Cemetery in Richmond Hill for the baby boy, whose mummified remains were discovered tucked between the floorboards of a South Riverdale home this summer.
Baby Lief, whose partially decomposed body was found in a wooded area near Thunder Bay back in April, was also laid to rest at the ceremony.
The Canadian Centre for Abuse Awareness (CCAA), a non-profit organization that works for the prevention of child abuse and adult victimization, co-ordinated the event, which is called the Huggum's Hope Memorial. It's named in honour of the CCAA's child abuse prevention teddy bear mascot.
The Simple Alternative Funeral Centres donated the memorial services, while Elgin Mills Cemetery provided the plots, a monument and a bench for contemplation.
"We are grateful for all the support received. This first funeral service and the permanent memorial will provide dignity for these babies and will show that they matter and we care," said Ellen Campbell, CCAA's executive director, in a release.
The Ontario Coroner's Office has a program in place where the CCAA will provide proper burial for the remains of abandoned children. On July 24, renovator and neighbour Bob Kinghorn was installing a light switch in a Riverdale home when he made the upsetting find. The full-term baby's remains were found wrapped in a copy of the Mail and Empire newspaper from Sept. 15, 1925.
Kinghorn named the child Baby Kintyre in honour of the street where the remains were found.
Days after the discovery, Ontario's Deputy Chief Coroner Jim Cairns reported that the baby, which did not appear to have any congenital defects or diseases, likely died shortly after birth. He also found no evidence of foul play and that the body had no injuries or stab wounds.
Back in 1925, Wesley and Della Russell owned the three-storey home at 29 Kintyre Ave. where the remains were found. The property near Queen Street and Broadview Avenue, which contains rental units, has since changed hands several times.
The latest proprietor, a young couple, had purchased the home in the spring and were having repairs done before moving in to a unit that spans the upper two floors.