Third arrest made in Danzig Street shooting
|
Bookmark and Share
Nov 23, 2012  |  Vote 0    0

Third arrest made in Danzig Street shooting

Scarborough Mirror

For the third time in two weeks, Toronto police have charged a young man with murder in the Danzig Street shooting deaths of Shyanne Charles and Joshua Yasay.

Police say a boy of 17 was arrested at 10 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 22, and charged with two counts second-degree murder, attempted murder and 22 counts of aggravated assault. Under the Youth Criminal Justice Act he can’t be named.

Charles, a 14-year-old resident of one of the West Hill-area townhouses, was killed along with Ajax resident Yasay, 23, on July 16 in what police say was an exchange of gunfire between the Galloway Boys street gang and rivals from Malvern in a Danzig Street townhouse complex during a street party. Another 23 people were wounded.

Police announced the first murder charges in the case on Nov. 8. Shaquan Mesquito, 18, charged with threatening death 11 days after the mass shooting, was charged with two counts of first-degree murder, attempted murder and 23 counts of aggravated assault.

On Thursday afternoon, police said Nahom Tsegazab, 19, arrested a few days after the shooting for reckless discharge of a firearm, had been arrested again and was charged with two counts of second-degree murder, attempted murder and 22 counts of aggravated assault.

Tsegazab was one of those wounded in the Danzig shooting.

Police on Nov. 8 also released two composite drawings of possible suspects in the shooting, asking for the help of witnesses they said had not yet come forward to tell all they saw at the party.

One person was identified as a result.

Police, however, are still looking for the man in the second sketch, known by the street name Juvi and described in one news release as having “a noticeable scar under his left eye.”

Previously, police said they believed five or six shooters were involved in the gun fight and that five firearms had been recovered.

On Thursday, a release said police had “reason to believe that there are at minimum one or two more shooters involved in this investigation.”

By Friday morning, however, this had changed in a new release. “We have reason to believe there may be one more shooter involved,” it said.

People with information were asked to call Det. Sgt. Peter Trimble at 416-808-7394, Det. Sgt. Graham Gibson at 416-808-7405 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477).

|
Bookmark and Share

(0) Comment

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

PHOTOS AND VIDEOS

In Your Neighbourhood Today

SPONSORED CONTENT View More