Minor adjustments to activities and environments can help people living with dementia remain healthy and independent. Here are nine practical tips for managing daily living:
1. Keep to a simple daily and weekly routine. Get to know particular good times of the day and concentrate on getting things done during optimal hours.
2. Communication is key. Talk to family, friends and professionals about how they can help and accept offers.
3. Eat regularly. Make sure healthy snacks are on hand in case cooking is not an option. Be sure to get enough fluids.
4. Keep active. A walk every day will help with relaxation. Keep up with hobbies and visit friends. Stay connected to the community by joining local support groups and organizations.
5. Use visual aids such as to do lists, a calendar or a reminder board to organize. Make a checklist of important things to do before going to bed.
6. Keep essential items such as glasses, keys and money in one place so that they can be easily found.
7. Write down memorable experiences and information in a journal or diary.
8. Keep a visitors book with names, contact details and short descriptions. Add photos next to important phone numbers and keep them by the phone.
9. Label cupboards, drawers and doors making use of colour and contrast.