AT RTH (Roy Thomson Hall), MH (Massey Hall) or GGS (Glen Gould Studio) ...
* Jan 1, 2:30 p.m., New Year’s Day Celebration, Salute to Vienna (RTH)
* Jan 3, 7:30 p.m., Carnival China Style (RTH)
* Jan 13, 14, 8 p.m.,TSO, Mozart Piano Concerto 21 (RTH)
* Jan 15, 8 p.m., Prater Orchestra (GGS)
* Jan 16, 7:30 p.m., TSO, National Arts Centre Orchestra (RTH)
* Jan 19, 8 p.m., Tegan & Sara (MH)
* Jan 20, 21, 8 p.m., TSO, Mozart’s Women (RTH)
* Jan 22, 8 p.m., Sinfonia Toronto (GGS)
* Jan 23, 24 7:30/3 p.m., TSO - Beyond the Score Mozart Piano Concerto 27 RTH$74 - $27.50
* Jan 25, 8 p.m., TSO - Orchestre symphonique de Montréal RTH$128 - $29
* Jan 26, 8 p.m., Colin James MH$59.50 - $39.50
* Jan 27, 28, 29, 30, 8 p.m., Jann Arden MH$80.50 - $50.50
* Jan 28, 8 p.m., TSO - Tchaikovsky Symphony 5 RTH$128 - $29
* Jan 29, 30, 31 8 p.m., Randy BachmanGGS
* Jan 30, 8 p.m., TSO - Tchaikovsky Symphony 5 RTH
Call the Box Office (416) 872-4255 or link here.
The TSO ends the holiday break with its annual Mozart Festival with eight concerts between Jan 13-24. Check website. The Orchestre symphonique de Montréal performs Monday, Jan. 25. The TSO performs Tchaikovsky Symphony 5, Jan. 28 and 30 (Thursday/Saturday). Link here.
ROYAL CONSERVATORY ...
* Saturday, Jan. 16, 8 p.m., two virtuoso groups, Quartetto Gelato and Ethel at Koerner Hall (here’s a link to a live performance by Ethel);
* Sunday, Jan. 17,2 p.m., Bryan Epperson, cello,with Dianne Werner, piano at Mazzoleni Hall;
* Monday Jan. 18, 7 p.m., Toronto Blues Society presents the 13th annual edition of their gala Maple Blues Awards show honouring the best blues musicians across Canada. At Koerner Hall;
* Friday, Jan. 29, 8 p.m., (pre concert talk 7:15 p.m.). Esprit Orchestra, led by Alex Pauk, music director and conductor, presents a concert honouring visiting composer Krzysztof Penderecki who is the Roger D. Moore Distinguished Visitor in Composition at the University of Toronto. The concert at Koerner Hall is also part of the annual New Music Festival at the University of Toronto’s Faculty of Music which runs Jan. 25-31.
Link here for Penderecki’s Threnody To the Victims of Hiroshima.
Link here for Batter my heart, three person’d God from the opera Dr. Atomic by John Adams
CANADIAN OPERA COMPANY ...
* Canadian Opera Company kicks off Carmen Wednesday, Jan. 27, 30 and continuing on with 10 performances in February.
* Also the COC continues its free lunch time concerts, noon, Jan., 7, 12, 14, 19, 21, 26 and 28, as well as 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 13.
Link here for website.
MUSIC TORONTO ...
The non-profit, charitable Music Toronto (link here for website), with a mandate of presenting downtown chamber music, presents three January concerts at the St. Lawrence Centre for the Arts., all starting at 8 p.m.:
* Cellist Rachel Mercer Jan. 14 plays the “Bonjour” Stradivarius.
* The Tokyo String Quartet Jan 21 plays 2 of Beethoven’s Razmovsky quartets.
* Pianist John O’Conor Jan. 26 plays a rare Toronto recital.
The Toronto All-Star Big Band plays, 2 p.m., Sunday, Jan. 31, Sunday, Feb. 28 and Sunday, April 18, 2 to 5 p.m. at York Quay Centre, 235 Queens Quay West. Link here for website.
U OF T ...
University of Toronto Faculty of Music New Music Festival January 25-31, a variety of lectures and concerts. Link here http://www.music.utoronto.ca/events/nmf.htm
Also Thursdays at noon, free concerts at Walter Hall. For more info, or other events, link here.
YORK UNIVERSITY ...
* Jan 5, free, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. free. Music at Midday: New Works by Young Composers. Music students showcase their original compositions. At Tribute Communities Recital Hall.
* Jan 12, free, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., Jazz at Noon at : Daniel Schnee Quartet at Martin Family Lounge.
* Jan 19, free, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., Jazz at Noon: Mark Eisenman Trio at Martin Family Lounge.
* Jan 19, 7:30 to 9:30 p.m., Faculty Concert Series, cellist Mark Chambers, York music professor, is joined by his faculty colleague and frequent collaborator, pianist Christina Petrowska Quilico at Tribute Communities Recital Hall. Paid admission.
* Jan 22, free, 12:30 to 1:30, Music at Midday:Young singers from the classical vocal performance studios perform arias by Mozart, Handel and Puccini at Tribute Communities Recital Hall.
* Jan 26, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., free, Jazz at Noon: Young Artists. Rising young artists in York University’s jazz studies program perform jazz standards as well as original compositions at Martin Family Lounge.
Tribute Communities Recital Hall, 112 Accolade East Building, York University, Keele Campus.
Martin Family Lounge, 219 Accolade East Building, York University, Keele campus.
Link here for York University website.
* Hart House Theatre at U of T presents the musical High Fidelity Jan. 15-30. Link here for website.
* Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra and Chamber Choir presents Intimate Bach with Tyler Duncan, baritone, Jan. 21 to 24 at Trinity-St. Paul’s Centre and Jan. 26 at George Weston Recital Hall. Link here for Tafelmusik website.
* Acoustic Harvest, the Scarborough-based folk music club, presents Toronto-based Bebop Cowboys on Saturday, Jan. 23, 8 p.m. at St. Nicholas Anglican Church. Phone 416-264-2235 or link here for website.
* Sinfonia Toronto, Toronto’s chamber orchestra, continues its Masterpiece Series with The Romantic Century, Celebrating Chopin’s 200th anniversary, with pianist Yuval Fichman Friday, Jan. 22, 8 p.m. at Glenn Gould Studio, Link here for Sinfonia Toronto website.
* Hannaford Street Silver Band presents Gold Medal Brass, a pre-Olympic musical feast that features John Burge’s Concerto for Trumpet in a new version for brass band commissioned by the HSSB, all under the baton of HSSB’s Artistic Director and resident Conductor, Curtis Metcalf Sunday, January 24, 3 p.m., at Jane Mallett Theatre. Link here for Hannaford Street Silver Band website.