By Jennifer Peters
Soften up dry winter skin with this easy to prepare, all-natural sugar scrub. Give it as a hostess gift for the recipient to use in the bath or shower. Feel refreshed with a minty burst of peppermint to start your day.
Supplies and materials
small glass jars with lids
2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup almond oil (walnut or coconut oil will also work)
a few drops of peppermint extract
a few drops of red food colouring
patterned scrapbook paper
chalkboard labels (optional)
paper funnel (home made)
Directions: (makes one jar)
1) Wash and dry your jars. Cut circles of craft paper to fit over the lids and glue in place. Let dry.
2) Gather together two large mixing bowls. Mix two cups of granulated sugar with 1/4 cup of almond oil. Add the oil slowly until you have a nice, soft consistency. Add a few drops of peppermint extract and stir to combine.
3) Divide the scrub into two equal portions, one in each bowl. Add a few drops of food colouring to one of the bowls of scrub. Stir gently until combined.
4) Make a large funnel out of paper and pour a small amount of one colour of sugar into the jar. Press the sugar down lightly so it is even.
5) Repeat with the next colour and continue back and forth with as many layers as you like.
6) Seal the bottle with your lid and stick a label on the front. I used chalkboard label stickers and a white bistro marker to label mine. You could also print sticker labels from your computer or make a tag out of scrapbook paper to hang from the jar.
Next month: Pretty wall art made from repurposed plates and saucers.
Jennifer Peters has loved messing around with arts and crafts since she was a little girl. In 2003, she graduated from York University with a bachelor on fine arts. Jennifer loves baking, cake decorating, miniature making and photography. She has a dream of day becoming one of Martha Stewart’s craft team experts. Visit her at www.jennywren.ca and jenny-sugarnspice.blogspot.com